This weekend I bought a mini ice-cream maker. When you live in a small apartment, with what feels like the world's smallest kitchen you don't have a lot of space for gizmo's and gadgets, and the good things with this little ice cream maker: it fits in our fridge-freezer, AND it makes two flavours at once! With summer coming and trying to eat less processed crap, I thought it would be worth a try. I opted for two different flavours. The first was a rhubarb-strawberry sherbet and the second a simple vanilla ice cream.
1 cup hauled strawberries, sliced
1 cup rhubarb sliced
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
2-3 tablespoons triple sec
1/2 cup whipping cream
1-1/4 cup whipping cream
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
Rhubarb- Strawberry Sherbet Directions:
- In a saucepan combine strawberries, rhubarb, water and sugar.
- Over medium heat allow to stew for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Add triple sec and whipping cream.
- Using a hand blender, blend it and make sure that it is smooth.
- Once cool place in ice cream maker and follow your machine's specific directions.
- In a bowl combine all the ingredients and mix until sugar dissolves.
- Place in ice cream maker and follow your machine's specific directions.